The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind - Lucia Graves, Carlos Ruiz Zafón Where oh where do I begin...

I enjoyed the author's beautiful writing style. And I have the urge to grab a highlighter and read back through the book, picking out quotes, because there are many that are worthy. This book made me sad, it made me laugh, and it made me think.

There is a bleak undertone throughout the book, due to the aftermath of a nasty civil war. I can't say that I enjoyed that as much, but I also understand it was integral to the background and setting of the story. I enjoyed quite a few of the characters and how we discovered a bigger piece of the mystery through flashbacks every time someone told their story or read a letter.

However it wasn't really that big of a mystery. I had already guessed most of the big twists as soon as the mystery was presented. All except for Nuria Monfort's part in it. That I did not see, and I probably should have.

There were times when I didn't care much for the main character, to be honest. I noticed a pattern where something bad would happen at the end of one chapter, and in the beginning of the next he would be thinking about one girl or another. That really annoyed me. I also didn't feel like Daniel and Bea were really in love. It was more like they were two horny teenagers using love as an excuse to, well, be two horny teenagers.

As for the ending, it could have ended sooner.

Despite all of that, I was never bored with this story. There were enough twists and entertaining conversations between characters to keep me hooked until the end. I would give this book 4.5 stars if I could. If a few things had been different, I would've gladly given it 5 stars.